Sunday, March 19, 2017

Where is everyone? 70 degrees and VERY windy

The beach was devoid of animal life today.  The sentinels (seagulls) were AWOL, and I saw less than a handful of sandpipers on the shore.  Although I saw a some crab holes in the sand, I didn't see a single ghost crab, just a lot of tumble-seaweed caught in the wind that I mistook for crabs.

Turtles

No tracks seen between Beach Woods and Sandy Shoes Resort.

"Trash" doesn't always mean stuff that's left on the beach.  Case and point, this hole:



DON'T DIG HOLE LIKE THIS!  Nesting turtles coming ashore can get stuck and unable to get out, and die. :(

Trash

Once again, bottle caps are everywhere. My favorite is the sneaker with the barnacles on it.  It was still soaking wet, so it must have been washed ashore in the last day.






Treasures

I said it was windy...


Lots of seaweed on the beach




Here's a Man O'War who's somehow stayed on shore the last two weeks, and has been bleached by the sun. No way I'm touching him, tho.




This piper totally blends into the seaweed / sand.




Five months post Hurricane Matthew, the sea grapes closest to the ocean, who gave their lives to protect us, are just not coming back.




Fortunately, the sea grapes closer to the house are rallying :)
The red color is newest growth.




Lastly, this is from yesterday. Someone was asking "Liz" to marry him. I hope she saw the banner fly by.


No comments:

Post a Comment